Star Gazing- A Short Story


 A Short Story 




   Hi guys, I remember saying sometime ago that I might write a short story as one of my blog posts, and I have decided to do that today. I've been playing with the idea of writing on my blog for a while but I keep hitting writer's blocks... Like bullocks, what is wrong with me?😩

 So today I'm going to give it another try. It's going to be short, like really short.. Well, it is a short story, a spontaneous creative write- up and I want to know what you guys think of it in the comment section below 😘😘. OK. Here we go.
___________________________________

  The stars are so beautiful tonight. I think to myself, I feel like I can reach up and touch them and hold them and keep a piece of that beautiful light with me. The wind is harsh and blowing my hair into my eyes, I tuck it back behind my ears resigning myself to keep doing that since my beanie fell to the street 4 floors down. I chuckle at the thought.

 Did I actually think a beanie could hold my hair in place while I'm star gazing on the roof? A helmet would be more appropriate right now. Just then, I hear the door leading to the roof squeak open then close... I turn around to look at who would come here since this has been my special place for years and it seems no one in my apartment building has shown interest in my special place but it's cool... That means more time to myself.

   A man walks through the door and then freezes at the sight of me. Well well well. He's really tall and built, making my 5'7 look like a dwarf. Bright blue eyes I can see all the way from where I'm standing and shiny brown hair . And he still hasn't moved.

"Um. Hi." my words seem to unfreeze him as his mouth opens and closes like he doesn't know what to say.

"I- uh- we- I- sorry, I didn't think anyone would be up here at this time" he stutters. He has a nice voice to add to his good looking self. Hmm. Seems like someone finally showed interest in my special place.

"Its okay. You're the first person other than me to come up here anyway." I say.

"Oh, well. I hope you don't mind me joining you" he sounds calmer now.

"No. It's okay." He walks up to me and leans against the metal railing. "It's amazing up here, it's a bit quiet but it has fresh air unpolluted by smokes and noise from the hustle bustle of New York. I can totally see the appeal." He turns his head slightly to smile at me. A little smile, enough to make me see he has dimples in both cheeks. Jeez.

 " Yeah. That's why I come up here anyway. " I reply. But it's really one of the reasons I come up here almost every night. The other reason is because I'm always alone here. And I love my solitude and alone time even though I get enough from living alone.

 "I'm Brad. I just moved in on the 8th floor. "

 "Ashley. Looks like we're neighbours. I also stay on the 8th floor. I mean." I can't help but smile at his face. He looks confused.

 Then he looks out into the city, it seems like the conversation is over. But the silence is not laden with tension. Rather it's a companionable silence, one neither of us have to fill. Instead we get lost in our thoughts. 

My thoughts drift.

 I imagine if another person who cannot stand silence comes up to special place, he or she would talk my ear off. Before I know it, it's already 12 A.M and I have to go to bed and get ready for work tomorrow.

 "Um... I gotta head to bed. It's 12 A.M and I have to go to work tomorrow. So..." I let my words trail. I straighten myself and begin to walk backwards towards the door.

 "Oh, I didn't realise it had gotten so late... I guess I'll head indoors now" he moves towards me but reaches behind me to pull open the door then gestures for me to go in. Oh, what a gentleman.

 We enter the elevator together. In the small space, I can smell him acutely when I could not before because of the strong winds on the roof. He smells heavenly. I could steal his cologne and spray it on my nightie so I could smell him whenever I sleep. But I ignore that thought because it's creepy, the ding of the elevator opening rouses me from my reveries. We leave the elevator and walk towards our doors, I pause in opening my door when I see him opening the door right next to mine. Oh come on, he's my next door neighbour too?

  "Um.. Goodnight then" he says. I notice he paused too when he realised we were next door neighbours. I can't help but smile as I give him a little wave. I enter into my apartment, lock my door and lean against it. I think back to how I felt about my private time and solitude on the roof, and how I probably wouldn't be alone up there anymore. But I don't feel sadness or resentment about him joining me. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to it. I bite my lower lip to stifle the smile that threatens to escape and get ready for bed.

__________



What do you think is going to happen? I think it's pretty obvious. If you ever want me to continue this story, you can say so in the comment section. The more requests for the story I get, the more I figure out how to make the story awesome for you. Lol... It's up to you.

 You can check out my other posts, share them and you can comment below. Until next time darlings. Xoxo. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog Post!

2020. A MYSTERY CLOUDED YEAR. AN IDIOSYNCRASY..

WHY YOU SHOULD INCREASE YOUR SOY INTAKE IN 2020